We are very excited to announce that both JBoss Data Virtualization and JBoss Data Grid were finalist in the Database Trends and Applications (DBTA) Readers Choice Awards for 2015. JBoss Data Grid was a Finalist in the category, Best In-Memory Database. JBoss Data Virtualization was a Finalist in the category, Best Data Virtualization Solution. There were 29 categories in which products could be nominated and ultimately voted upon. The categories were wide-ranging for the Data Industry. For instance, there are Hadoop distributions, NoSQL database products, and cloud products and services, but also categories to recognize products in more established segments of the market such as relational database management, MultiValue, business intelligence, and data integration.
Red Hat JBoss Data Virtualization (JDV) concentrates on three main concepts listed below:
- Connect provides Data Federation across one to many disparate data sources so that aggregated views can be built
- Compose provides the Data Integration which allows discovery, cleansing, monitoring, transforming and delivery of data from diverse sources
- Consume provides Data Abstraction which is the reduction of a particular set of data to a simplified or essential elements of data.
So to summarize, according to the DBTA, the successful solutions provide agile enterprises agile development, a secure virtual data layer and real-time data access and provisioning.
According to industry analyst firm Gartner Inc., IMDGs are suited to handle big data's "big-three V's": velocity, variability, and volume. IMDGs can support hundreds of thousands of in-memory data updates per second, and they can be clustered and scaled in ways that support large quantities of data. Specific advantages of IMDG technology include:
- Enhanced performance because data can be written to, and read from, memory much faster than is possible with a hard disk.
- The data grid can be easily scaled, and upgrades can be easily implemented.
- A key/value data structure, rather than a relational structure, provides flexibility for application developers.
- The technical advantages provide business benefits in the form of faster decision making, greater productivity, and improved customer service.
So to summarize, the successful solutions provide access to data quickly and easily.